Friday, February 9, 2018

Countdown to Bogota

The temperature is down in the 20's again this morning.  Sitting by the fire, I can only think of our upcoming adventure. Where, although we are expecting it to be rainy at times, it will at least be warmer.  With four days to go, the packing is done.  We have this down to a science now.  And although I still probably take too much, it is manageable.  Most of the to-do list has been checked off.  Our friends Diane and Tim are stopping by today for a refresher course of taking care of our plants.

We have kept busy these past few months.  The holidays were a whirlwind of family and friends. Geoff is still biking, no matter what the temperature -- as long as there is no snow on the ground.  I have no such aspiration and stay inside the gym.  I expect to see a fat tire bike in the shed one of these days.  We are both in awe of our niece, Brianna, who finished the 50 mile Frosty Bottom Race in Alaska. Brrrr....

Although I am not in the latest production at the Marion Art Center, Geoff and I have been volunteering our time and talent building the set for "Barefoot in the Park" - and will be able to see the finished production when we return.

The itinerary for this trip is still being finalized.  Hopefully, I will have all the documents today.  My new friend, Paula at IMPULSE Travel in Bogota, has been very patient with me.  We have had a few hiccups along the way trying to figure out the logistics of traveling around such expansive terrain.  I think we have put together a terrific itinerary encompassing a lot of what Colombia has to offer.  Five weeks is quite a bit of time to experience everything from the mountains to the sea.  Although I will not be printing a detailed itinerary, here are some of the highlights:


  • Valentine's dinner high atop Montserrat Bogota
  • city bike tours (Bogota & Medellin) weather permitting
  • graffiti tour in Bogota
  • cooking class in Bogota
  • steam train to salt cathedral in Zipaquira
  • overnight in Villa de Leyva
  • salsa lessons in Cali
  • tubing in San Cipriano
  • Pablo Escabar tour in Medellin
  • ecolodging on coffee plantations
  • hiking in Coccora Valley
  • bathing in the hot springs
  • ecoloding in Minca
  • horseback riding to the waterfalls 
  • staying in eco-lodges in Tayrona national park
  • snorkeling and kayaking on Mucura & Baru Islands in the Caribbean
  •      --definitely booking some spa time here!!
  • exploring the old city of Cartegena
  • trip to Cartegena's aviary
  • farewell dinner atop Fort San Sebastián, Cartegena 
Phew!  Well that sounds exhausting!! Needless to say, we are excited and very much looking forward to hearing from any of you who want to join our blog along the way.  It is always so good to hear from folks back home when we are traveling. As always, look for links to the daily photo albums.  And please let me know if there are any problems, missing links, trouble with leaving comments, etc with the blog. Please keep in mind that viewing on mobile phones is a bit different format than desktop.

Just heard that it will be 50 degrees tomorrow!!  This weather is definitely nuts.  Maybe I will go biking.

Next time.... The Road to Bogota

1 comment:

  1. Just yesterday I commented that I was surprised not to see the preparation update - I apparently didn't actually post it though. And now here is the entry I expected, with a partial itinerary that, well I am not sure I could keep up. I know you will have a fantastic time! Happy travels & lots of love

    ReplyDelete